Friday, June 09, 2006

Saigon

And from Hoi An in central Vietnam, I arrived in Saigon (officially Ho Chi Minh City - HCMC) in south Vietnam.

My family picked me up, and I stayed with them for the 3 days I was there.

One thing I quickly noticed about Saigon is that it's more sprawling than Hanoi. Streets and homes are wider (but they still are a number of stories high and squeezed together). Living with my family meant I lived in the 'burbs, not in backpackerville, so I hardly saw backpackers around, and spent all my time around local Vietnamese. The expected questions asked of me - "Where you from?", "Are you married?", "How old are you?" - were only prepping questions for the real purpose of their asking - "I have some daughters I want you to meet..." The answer is the same as I give here - "Thanks, but..."

Street where my family lives - not major street in Saigon

My days in Saigon revolved completely around eating. If I wasn't eating, I was probably digesting. My family kept a relentless barrage of fantastic homemade and "outsourced" homemade food ticking at a furious pace. It was like a restaurant banquet 3 times a day.

Day 1 was sleeping and said eating, Day 2 involved more sightseeing around central Saigon. As the days are very warm and muggy, people really don't come out until night, when the streets are packed!
Me pretending to ride my uncle's motor scooter

Day 3 involved a little bit of shopping, and the eating of a certain "mystery meat". For more info, you"ll have to go to my pictures at www.flickr.com/photos/sneakykangaroo.


Me and family at the airport before leaving for Berlin
DN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How tall you are Danny!!! So did you get to meet the nice daughters ;o)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»