Monday, June 26, 2006

Australia/USA in the World Cup

I know it's long gone but I haven't had a chance to have my say.

June 17 - Italy v USA - I'm at the airport, so I missed the game!

June 22 - Ghana v USA
As I'm heading towards the Walkabout, I miss most of this game, but I watched goals from a pub somewhere. Disappointing run by us Yanks, we should have beaten Ghana to get through, but failed. Makes the last World Cup run to quarterfinals look like a fluke.

June 22 - Australia v Croatia at the Walkabout (my last visit) Jam-packed with Aussies (including half the housemates), all was in readiness for a great game, and it didn't disappoint. Two great goals, Australia qualifies for the 2nd round to face Italy, and another group of immigrant Aussies face divided loyalies (after the Greeks and Croatians before). Emerton picks up a red card, Kewell becomes a hero, Kalac choked on his big game.

The Socceroos play the game the right way, but this would eventually be their downfall.

The only downside to the night was the silly behaviour of drunken Aussies smashing stuff. But I would expect nothing less when you get that many Au-stray-liens together. After the game, I disappeared from that place, never to return....

Me and Sharna at the "Walkie" - hot as an oven in there

Me and the Valetta Road girls past & present (Bec, Sheena, Carla, Sharni)

June 26 - Australia v Italy @ home (Valetta Road)
With nothing to lose, we're all looking forward for Australia to go for it. Wish I was back in Melbourne somewhere - instead I'm at home (everyone else is working - arrgh) with housemate Ryan (NZ).

Socceroos look good, play together well but can't get past the Italian defence (nobody else could either). It takes a dive to get Italy through, but the Aussies can be proud of their team, they fought above their weight and held their own.

From here, I pretty much lost most interest until the business end of the competition.

DN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»