Sunday, January 21, 2007

Start Spreadin' The News...

I'm still here in New York, things are settling down now that I am working regularly. So I thought I'd take some time to catch you all up on what I'm up to now:

Where I live:
I live in Manhattan, New York City. More specifically I live in the neighborhood of Washington Heights (you can see an aerial view of my 'hood by clicking here). It lies on the northern (uptown) end of Manhattan, pretty close to New Jersey and the Bronx. The Wikipedia page says Wash. Heights was a very rough place in the 70s and 80s - drugs, murder, you name it. But I think a lot of parts of NYC were tough back then.

WH is a neighborhood full of people from the Dominican Republic. Everyone is bilingual, but all you hear while walking through the streets is Spanish. Reggaeton music and car horns and police sirens can be heard at any time of day or night. The Columbia University Medical Center is right down the road, so at least health care is nearby. It's a nice neighborhood with a strong community.

I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with nice polished floors.

Where I work:
1) Westchester Square Physical Therapy - Private practice in the Bronx
2) Sutton Place Physical Therapy - Private practice in Manhattan, east Midtown

Where I used to work:
1) Labyrinth Books - Independent bookstore near Columbia University. I helped out during January to help with sale of course books for the new Spring semester. I finished up working there a couple months ago
2) Equinox Fitness Clubs - Upmarket fitness clubs across the US. I spend two hours a week handing out flyers to promote a grand opening of a new location, and in return I got free membership

So this situation in January put a gave me a few things I have never done before:
  • Working at four different places in a week
  • Working at three different places in a day
  • Working for 30 days in a row
Phew. Some things never change.

Plans for the future:
  • Paintball in Pennsylvania this Sunday
  • Basketball league
  • Outdoor soccer league
  • ?Swing dancing
  • Travel to East Coast US (Boston, Philly, DC), Mexico City, Canada, maybe Florida
  • Travel to West Coast US (Phoenix, Seattle, LA)
  • Back to Melbourne in July
D

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bring on the July event!!