Sunday, September 17, 2006

Dublin, Ireland - ´Tis Grand!

So after my 2nd week at the Whittington, I was off for a weekend mini-break to Dublin.

I left after work on Friday night to catch the flight at Stansted Airport, and just like my trip to Sweden, I cut it way too close. I just made it before check-in closed, but my bag was too big for the new hand luggage dimensions, and then it was madness. Had to pay for excess baggage and check it in, but eventually made it.

Met up with Ruth`s sister Lisa at O`Callahan`s Hotel, and we hit the town. And that basically consisted of Irish beverages, and that may or may not have included Guinness. They say the Guinness tastes better in Ireland, and they`re right - it`s the Irish water.


Lisa and I - "First drink of the day"

Went around Temple Bar and pubs in the area, then crossed the River Liffey to catch a bar called Sin-E, then had the good ´ol kebab/sandwich to close out the night.

Temple Bar (Famous Irish pub) by day - way too crowded at night

Day after we went sightseeing (including St. Patrick`s Cathedral) and saw a play called Stones in His Pockets, which was really, really good. It`s an Irish play that`s been on Broadway and the West End in London, and was back to Dublin. Funny and so clever.

The night consists of more Irish drinking, but this time more spirits (Jameson`s whiskey, Bailey`s, etc).

The next day sees me head down to the Guinness Storehouse solo. Nice place, really shows you how beer (in general) is made, including Guinness. Great views from the top of the Storehouse, too.

After that, it was time to check out and head home. Blessed with great weather the whole weekend. Friendly Irish folk everywhere. Nice one.

DN

No comments: