Thursday, August 24, 2006

Finally! A physio job in Bristol


After 2 months of flipping burgers and cleaning up after people doing market research, I finally hit paydirt - a three-week locum physio position in Bristol, in the west of England near Wales, population about 500,000. I am working in a Brain Injury Rehab Centre, part of Frenchay Hospital (in northeast Bristol).

The job is interesting, and it's good to be using my brain for physio again. The centre is a little old, but the staff are friendly and there is a good team atmosphere. It took the first week to work out the system, and now that I know it, I'll be leaving!

The hospital accommodation is cheap, but nasty. I am staying in 'A' Block (already it sounds like something from the TV show Prison Break). It's like a dorm/motel, with all single rooms and single beds. The hallway smells of old cigarette smoke (obviously someone smokes in their room). The kitchen is full of dirty pans and pots, but with no dishwashing detergent around, I haven't really been cooking. People in 'A' Block are generally middle aged, and of an ethnic background. Haven't really said anything more than hello in passing. After my 2nd night, I decided just to use it only as a place to sleep, and started working out how to get to downtown Bristol.

Works out a bus just outside the hospital can take me there in 35 min. So off we went.

Downtown Bristol is actually quite nice, like any other smallish town. Lots of history and old architecture. There are a few special landmarks:

  • Clifton Suspension Bridge - beautiful bridge for one. It is at the top of 2 hills looking down on Bristol, so the views are pretty nice.
  • Bristol Cathedral - nice looking cathedral.

Poseidon: "I think the bus stop is this way?" Danny: "No, maybe it's over here..."

That's me next to this huge mirror ball. Imagine the size of the disco club...

The Clifton Suspension Bridge and west Bristol below

There is also the University of Bristol, which is less than a 10 ininute walk from downtown, so I'm sure the nightlife is great during when uni is on. So I have been going there after work every night, checking it out. There are rough areas of town (like Easton where this Internet cafe is), but I'm sure there are places like this everywhere.

As always, there are more pictures to see at www.flickr.com/photos/sneakykangaroo.

And if you can also check out my MySpace site at www.myspace.com/dannyn80. Not much to see, but worth a look anyway.

DN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Apparently Massive Attack own a club in Bristol called Nocturne. Might be worth checking out if you like that kind of thing.