Saturday, July 08, 2006

A weekend in Sweden

Hello everyone,
Now, back to this trip to Sweden.

My first real trip outside London, and it was adventure just trying to leave! After leaving home for Stansted Airport, I had given myself 3 hours to get there, and I should have given myself 3 1/2. I missed check-in deadline by about 10 min, which meant I had to catch the next flight to Gothenburg. About 3 hrs and £40 later, I was off to Sweden.

I actually stayed in Falkenburg, which is about an hour south of Gothenburg. I stayed at the lovely cottage de Jenny, who along with Richie looked after things. First night went to central Falkenburg, and had dinner in a pub, and watched the World Cup 3rd place game, Germany v Portugal.

Next day and we're off to the local beach, just a 15 min walk down the road from the cottage. And my first game of kubb, a traditional Swedish outdoor game involving wooden blocks. It involves strategy and accurate throwing of these blocks, and it's pretty cool, as long as the blocks don't hit you.

That night had a good 'ol Swedish BBQ at Jenny's parents place and watched the World Cup final. It was so boring, I was falling asleep. The result was not what I wanted either, the diver in the Australia game scoring the winning penalty.

Next day off to Gothenburg to see the sights for a little, then another BBQ at a friend of Jenny's. Final day more sightseeing before heading back to London.

Notes:
  • Almost everything they say about the Swedish is true. NO, not everyone is Sweden is blonde. But YES, most people in Sweden are attractive. YES, most Swedish are friendly. YES, the cities and countrysides are beautiful.
  • The cities are really nice, with cobblestones, large plazas, few cars. The people just seem quite content, as if life is good. No homeless on the streets, nobody looking like trouble. As Tony and I said, we think they have worked things out up here.
  • In summer the days are LOOOOOOONG. It doesn't really get dark, just navy blue. The sun comes back up at 4am or so, it's nuts.
  • It has to be one of the more expensive places to live. More expensive than England.
Overall, Sweden was an awesome place to be. I am fortunate to have friends in Scandinavian places, I probably would not have been able to go otherwise. And I can only remember one word in Swedish - but I cannot repeat it here...

DN

No comments: