Friday, July 14, 2006

My near-death experience in London

So I was working at the First (cricket) Test between England and Pakistan at Lord's Cricked Ground in London. I was working all 5 days for Fine Burger Company, and this was Day 2. My friend Tony had just arrived in England after his travels through South America, Germany, and the Greek Islands, and I had got him some work at FBC with me.

Tony and I taking a break during another busy shift of flipping burgers

After our shift, we decided to go for some Friday night drinks and kick back. After some walking, we stumble upon a nice bar called the Stonehorse. We get our beers and sit down at the outside tables. Everything was going well until after about an hour or so...then the 2nd "O" in the Stonehorse sign fell, missing me by only centimetres, bounced off the ground, hit me in the leg, then rolled away. Now this big "O" was a fairly heavy metal sign. If I was sitting directly underneath the sign, my skull probably would've been cracked open. Unbelieveable.

After I realised what had happened, I took it into the pub and did started an impromptu cheer - "Give me an O!"

Me with the "O", a guy calling his friend telling him what had happened, and a waitress trying to work out what was going on

After all that, we didn't get any free drinks for our troubles. What a disappointment.

Another waiter, me, and Tony - still alive and kicking

If you look at the picture, our stuff is just to the right of the door, that's where we were sitting. If the S had fallen, it would have hit Tony in the head.

The view of the sign from my seat

So we're still alive - just. I now have 8 lives left to go. I'm considering returning just before I leave for New York for some final drinks (literally).

But it's got great atmosphere...

DN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you get to keep the O as a souvenir?