Sunday, April 01, 2007

Just for kicks

So today I went to go buy some new basketball shoes as I am playing with a NYC basketball league that raises money for charity called ZogSports. One of my teammates recommended that I buy some Starbury basketball shoes. These shoes have been released by NBA basketball player Stephon Marbury, who currently plays for the NY Knicks (and incidentally used to play for the Phoenix Suns). These shoes is that the price is only US$15, and he wears them for every NBA game. Marbury has had some media support for his shoes, whose quality is comparable to high-end sneakers, but affordable for everyone (including myself).

So I went to go buy these shoes exclusively at Steve & Barry's, which sell quality sports clothes for a much lower price than competitors. This day happened to coincide with the release of the new Starbury II sneakers on the same day. And guess who came to promote the launch of the Starbury II's - none other than Stephon Marbury! I got there about 20 min before he did, there was already a crowd in the Manhattan Mall where the shop is located. So I'm in the middle of trying on shoes, when he just walks right past! Though there was a strong security/cops presence around him, he was happy to greet customers and hug kids, etc. There's video of the appearance here. I am actually in the background in the video - but you will have to slow it down and squint a little. I'm wearing the red fleece jumper.

It's a great marketing idea, bringing cheap shoes to the masses. American kids get good shoes, but I wonder what those kids in the Chinese sweatshops get...

DN

No comments: